|Frequently Asked Forum Questions
|Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts
: So in short, it was a blast. This was the first LAN party I'd ever held for
: HBOers so it was an odd experience convincing my dad that we weren't
: inviting a bunch of internet creeps to the house. The term "Internet
: rapists" was used. He took some convincing (He is old). Despite a few
: annoying technical issues (later resolved), everything went great! Nobody
: died, so that's a plus.
: In attendance: The fearless, god like 6'5", and strikingly
: "Sterling Archer-esque" (as reported by his peers) Bryan
: and some other people.
: people like: GreyThor
: KornyMunkey (And his GF)
: Padraig (The almighty)
: Revenant (And his GF)
: Lost Spartan
: It started on Saturday. We mainly sort of just hung out that day. Kentucky
: Fried LAN 2.0 will have to have the subtitle LAN/Bro-out. We got the ATV's
: running and I think those went over really well, and unlike snowmobiles
: they are not as easily stuck for hours (HBOMBers know). We grilled
: hamburgers and hotdogs. Later that night we made the trip up to Newport
: Ky, to see Star Trek in 3D IMAX. That was awesome. Paddy, Munky and I
: watched a few episodes of Arrested Development S:4. So happy that the
: Bluths are back.
: Sunday was when the real "LAN" portion started. That was when the
: most Halo was played. That was a whole lot of fun as expected but the real
: gem that day was my little sister. Bear in mind she has never played a
: game of Halo multiplayer before (She's not a gamer.) I convinced her to
: pick up a controller and start playing with us. When the trash talk
: started, it wasn't from me, or Rev, or Paddy...but from little Reagan
: "Who is Revenant? Doug? YOU SUCK!"
: -Reagan Newman
: age 11
: That blew my mind. Any doubt I ever had about her actually being related to
: me (Do to her dislike of video games) was completely erased when she began
: calculating her K/D. I was so proud.
: We had a big bonfire that night. Munky's girlfriend made maybe the best
: hamburger I have ever had. She put pineapple on it and damn did that make
: it shine.
: As the evening wore on we decided to do something that will forever go down
: in the "Shame" section of HBO...We played cards against
: For those not in the know, it is basically grown up version of Apples to
: Friendships were strained, morality questioned, and by the end of the night
: it was determined the vast majority of us are indeed going to hell. It's
: that kind of card game.
: I can sum up our Cards against humanity experience with two words: Mecha
: I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my entire life. Amazing game.
: The night ended and with it the LAN party. The Georgia crew departed that
: night and the Ohio/PA group the next morning. I think everybody had a good
: time, I was happy to host and am already planning the next one because it
: was just so much damn fun!
I hesitate to call it a 'LAN' but it was a fun party!
-Gaming was admittedly on the lower end of the spectrum -probably about 25% of the weekend from my perspective compared to everything else- but the other 75% was a lot of fun!
-ATVs are always a blast, the girls had a ton of fun with the horses, it was nice talking community and prop stuff and hanging out around a fire with s'more and other foods is always a treat! Adding HBOers only makes it better.
-Your sister was a hoot, and she deserved every assassination and beat down I gave her after that remark ;)
-Oh, and whichever one of your friends I kept pissing off in Halo 4 I am sorry lol. I swear I wasn't going after him on purpose.
-Don't listen to GreyThor when he starts wanting to play needler only gametypes.
-Also don't leave your host open for GreyThor to alter aspects of the next game without telling you (a 10 point bonus for a sticky kill, dude?)
-All Halo's are fun to LAN
-Lion Heart owes me a throw down in Halo Wars
-Ferrets are loud sleepers but fun to play with!
-Your Dad did not get my Seinfeld jokes and made a hilarious face when I asked him about 'his' poster in the living room (LOL)
-There is no such thing as too much food
-CAH was fun, and I'm pretty sure was developed specifically for Nando to win.
Over all it was fun. My advice to you for the future would be to explain your game plan to your guests a little better so they know what to bring (ie, is gaming going to be a focus, or are other events on the menu?), know whats open in the area or closed due to the holiday (ie paintball) and maybe try to keep things closer to home while people are there (driving back to Cincinnati was not really fun for us considering we had just come through it 2 hours before). Just work on that communication a little and don't be afraid to ask for help!
We had fun and it was great getting to see new/old faces again!